First Step Registered Nurse
First Step is a not-for-profit addiction, mental health and legal services hub in the heart of St Kilda. We provide services to thousands of vulnerable Victorians every year, with the firm belief that everybody deserves every chance to turn their lives around. First Step provides a uniquely multi-disciplinary team of GPs, psychologists, psychiatrists, lawyers, mental health nurses and care coordinators.
We are looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Registered Nurse to join our team. You will work alongside our multidisciplinary team with a variety of patients - most of whom have co-occurring conditions - providing direct nursing care in an environment of welcome, empathy and hope.
Key Functions and Responsibilities
- Identify patients’ care requirements, focus on their needs and act on them.
- Use a recovery-oriented framework, you will assess and address co-occurring treatment and support needs including addiction and mental illness. This includes working with patients with cognitive impairments.
- Nurture a compassionate and welcoming environment including providing psychological support.
- Work closely with the multi-disciplinary team, particularly GPs and mental health practitioners, to resolve or report on patients’ needs or problems
- Prepare patients for examinations and perform routine diagnostic checks (monitor pulse, blood pressure and temperature, provide drugs, injections, wound dressing, phlebotomy etc).
- Monitor and record patient’s condition and document provided care services
- Follow care regulations and standards
- Attend case conferences and clinical review meetings contributing to the planning and implementation of support and treatment.
- Bill Medicare efficiently and appropriately for all billable services
Requirements and skills
- Tertiary qualification in Nursing
- Current registration with AHPRA as a Registered Nurse with no restrictions on registration to practice.
- Proven nursing experience
- Familiarity with professional and technical emerging knowledge
- Experience working with clients with addiction and mental health support needs or similar.
- Understanding of, and ability to undertake clinical assessments and develop or inform care plans.
- Conducting clinical assessments and review, liaising with other health providers, and providing secondary consultation with other program staff where required
- Coordinating the development, implementation and ongoing review of clinical assessment and care planning.
- Reviewing and responding promptly, effectively, and appropriately to changes in client's health status.
- Competent in both written and verbal communication and organisational and time management skills
- Ensuring client care is delivered in accordance with relevant Quality Standards and Organisational values, standards, policies, and procedures and to the concept of continuous quality improvement.
- Current Working with Children Check
- Satisfactory Police Record Check
- Right to work in Australia
WHAT WE OFFER
We are looking for someone part time (approximately 3 days per week) on a casual contract with days and hours subject to negotiation. The continuation of this role is contingent on securing additional funding and is subject to a probationary period. Conditions are set out under the Nursing Award, subject to skills and experience.
First Step is an independent not-for-profit organisation that provides a safe and nurturing work environment for people of all backgrounds, genders, religions, sexualities, ethnicities or any other factor.
Because First Step is a not-for-profit organisation our staff can salary packaging up to $15,900 per year tax free. Entertainment Packaging (up to $2,650 per year tax free) is an additional option.
Please be advised that First Step adheres to Government mandates and requirements in relation to COVID-19.
We will be reviewing applications as they are submitted – so don’t delay in applying.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to Patrick Lawrence via [email protected] to express your interest in this position.