Group Facilitator, Men’s Group
The Group Therapist, Christchurch Community Centre Men’s Group, will be a key member of the team that organises and runs the Monday drop-in Men’s Group at Christchurch Community Centre.
The Group Therapist will engage the men attending this group to have productive and therapeutic discussions and engage in activities that increase social inclusion. While not overtly therapeutic, it is expected that the Group Therapist will utilise a range of treatment interventions including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Motivational Interviewing (MI), and psychoeducation in the delivery of this group program.
The core of this work will be delivered in the group. Additionally, the Therapist will utilise assessment and referral skills and knowledge as required when a group participant is in likely need of other supports; one-off individual (one-on-one) sessions may need to be scheduled to achieve this, usually immediately after the group or simultaneous if another team member can continue to supervise the group
While parts of each Men’s Group may be be somewhat self-directed by participants and their needs on any given day, the structure includes an element of structured presentation, activity and/or discussion in each session. The Group Therapist will engage in program design and scheduling of activities prior to each session.
A non-judgemental and trauma-informed approach to this work is essential. It is also expected that the successful applicant will arrange external debriefing as consistent with their professional accreditation/standards.
The focus of this role will be:
- To lead the Men’s Group including weekly 2hr sessions (Mondays) organised into 10-week programmes with a 2wk break between programs
- To provide treatment that is welcoming, empathic and optimistic, where possible helping to reduce stigma and shame for participants
- To facilitate open-ended conversation that engages each member of the group in a manner suitable to their ability and enthusiasm to engage.
- To arrange brief one-on-one consultations as needed with vulnerable participants by way of assessment and possible referral to other appropriate services
- To design and facilitate structured educational/developmental components to each weekly session
- To communicate weekly and collaborate with Christchurch Community Centre staff directly involved in the group, particularly the Centre Manager and Priest.
- To work collaboratively with the broader Christchurch Community Centre team to ensure the efficient, effective and responsive delivery of support and services at the Centre.
- Over time to identify and up-skill potential peer mentors from within the group
- Formal qualifications in mental health and/or counselling and/or group work. Minimum certificate IV, and higher rates of pay will apply to more qualified applicants.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the delivery of counselling, group therapy or other mental health modality.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health issues including depression, anxiety and loneliness
- Group facilitation skills and some experience in group supervision.
- Proven ability to effectively work with marginalised men, including those with past or present circumstances of homelessness, illicit drug use and/or incarceration.
- A working knowledge of referral pathways and related organisations/services in the St Kilda area is preferable. If the applicant does not have this knowledge, a commitment to increasing their familiarity with the services landscape in St Kilda is essential.
Please note: It is mandatory for the successful applicant to undergo a National Criminal History Check prior to commencement
This position is offered on a casual basis or to an independent contractor. Pay arrangements to be discussed in interview.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter addressing the Essential Requirements listed in the Position Description
- Up to date resume/CV
- Details of 2 professional referees
*Applications that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be considered
Applications should be mailed as follows:
REF: Group therapist
BY: January 10th, 2020 or earlier
Note: Christchurch Community Centre and First Step are organisations that provides a safe and nurturing work environment for people of all backgrounds, genders, religions, sexualities, ethnicities or any other factor.